About our dogs
We strive to select well-adjusted dogs that would be happy in homes with children and with other dogs: dogs that can visit the dog park, go for walks, join you on camping trips or walks down by the lake.
Our dogs are hosted by foster families that accept them into their homes as a part of the family. We treat our foster dogs the same as we treat our own dogs. This approach allow us to really understand the personality of the dog so that we can help make the best match possible with a family.
About our adoption program
- A complete veterinarian exam
- Treated for any identified ear or skin issues
- Received their DHPP, Bordetella and Rabies shots as age appropriate
- Heartworm negative
- Spayed or neutered
- Micro chipped
Since the dogs are in our homes, we have the opportunity to assess their temperament and activity level. Some dogs will do better in quiet homes; some really enjoy a hectic home. Some dogs will do better with other dogs in the home; some will do better as an only dog. Some dogs can be walked by children, some can not. Some dogs can live with cats, some dogs will try to eat or chase the family cat. Some dogs require little exercise; some dogs need a lot of exercise to be happy and well mannered.
The advantage of adopting a dog from Austin Dog Alliance is that we know our dogs and can help you select the perfect dog for your home. After adoption, we offer follow up calls to address issues and training classes to help you train your dog. At any point in your dog’s life, if you experience problems, we are here to help you.
The entire process usually takes 3 – 5 days. If you are not contacted by someone on our adoption team within 48 hours of submitting your application, please call our office at (512) 335-7100. If you lease your home, our first step will be to verify you have permission from your property manager to have a new dog. Please fax this information to (512) 287-4880. Please let your references know we will be in contact with them.
We look forward to working with you.
- We will call your vet and verify that all pets are current on all immunizations and all dogs have been kept consistently on heartworm preventative. If your vet is unable to verify these, your application will not be approved.
- We will call two personal references. Please let your references know that we will be calling. There is space on the application to list references. If you would like to have your application processed quickly, you can add additional references in the comments section of the application.
- We will call you to discuss your requirements for a new dog.
- Once you are approved, we will set up a meeting with the dog or dogs you are interested in adopting.
- If you AND the foster believe it to be a good match, the adoption will be finalized once you sign our adoption agreement and pay the minimum adoption fee of $250. ADA will register your new dog’s Home Again micro chip for you, so a payment of $16.99 is also collected at time of adoption. If the dog comes with 24HourPetWatch microchip no fee is required.
- When the adoption if finalized, you will receive a personalized folder for your dog that contains complete vet records and a copy of the adoption agreement.